



Christmas sure was a whirlwind of activity. It all started with my nice drive home from work on Tuesday. I was off work on Wednesday, so I was excited to get home and start cleaning and getting ready for Christmas Eve. I ran to
Walmart on my lunch hour that day to get last minute things. I picked up Addison at daycare at 4pm, and right before I left work my friend said her husband called and told her the roads were solid ice. I quickly left, and he wasn't kidding. It was kinda
ok getting Addison, but after that it was all downhill from there, no pun intended! The road I normally take to get home was closed-car in ditch and a tow truck was pulling it out. I turned around and got on SR 32 East towards the mall and I was going to go 275 instead of the hilly
backroads I usually take. I sat on 32 for an hour (4:15-5:15). I'm so glad I went to the store at lunch because I had juice, cheese, and crackers in the car. We had that for dinner. Finally realizing 32 was closed, I decided to take the first exit and try yet another way home. Well, that was not a good idea. The exit was downhill and curved to the right, so my car slid sideways off the side of the exit into the grass. By this time (5:45) Addison was screaming for her
paci and I couldn't find it. I called my boss to get
someone's phone number that lived nearby because I was just going to drive to his house. I ended up being stuck off of the exit until 7:15 pm. Addison did fall asleep at 6, which was good (and I did have a flashlight and found her
paci). A salt truck finally came down the exit about 6:45, but he was coming too fast and did a 180 and came down backwards and almost hit me. It took about 30 min for the ice to melt so that I could try and get back on the road. During this time, Jack's dear friend Mike, was on his way to get Addison and I. Anyway, I was finally able to drive down the exit and get back on 32. 32 and 275 were
ok. I got off at the Milford exit about 7:30 and it was at a standstill. I took a
backroad to SR 131 and that was also at a standstill. I decided I had to stay there since it was the only way home. During all of this my cell phone died. I'm probably the only person that doesn't own a car charger! I also didn't have my winter coat on and was in high heels! I am in the process of making an emergency car kit!
Deerfield Road was the worst-almost as bad as the exit ramp. There were cars scattered in ditches all the way home--more
SUVs and trucks than cars actually. I seriously drove 5 mph on
Deerfield. I saw
ambulances and firetrucks with these really cool spinning chains on their tires for traction. I need some of those! I finally pulled in my garage at 8:45, which is 4 hours and 45 minutes after I left work!! Of course Addison woke up right when we pulled in and was up for hours after that....
Christmas Eve was fun--the Wessel's came over and I made lasagna. Addison and I attempted to make a Paula Dean peppermint cake, but it was a flop and ended up in the trash. I'm sure I did something wrong. Addison got so many fun things including a vintage Radio Flyer fire truck, see below...



On Christmas Day we woke up and drove to
Centerville for a brunch at my parent's house. My sister and Tony along with the
Langers were all there. Addison again got more gifts than she knew what to do with!





After Addison's nap, we drove up to north Dayton to the Siebenthaler's for another round of gifts and dinner. Jackie had her mother's diamond rings made into necklaces for all the girls, including Addison. They are the most gorgeous necklaces and some of the diamonds are from the 1800s. What a special gift! I don't have pictures from that evening because I left my camera at my parent's house.
Friday morning we left for French Lick. Angie and Tony met us at our house and we all drove together. We stopped by cousin Kirstie's house to see her girls before we went to the hotel. Here are some fun pictures of that afternoon...(the first one is Addison in some of her new clothes before we left).




Friday night Jack, Tony, and Angie went back to the casino to lose money. I was so exhausted from the previous 2 days and the drive I stayed back and went to sleep with Addison at 7:30! The next day aunt Bobbie had a Christmas party at her house with all of the Deremiah's. Didn't really take a lot of pictures there except for my cousin Chad's cute little boy-Henry.

We got home about 7 on Saturday night and went straight to bed. Today Addison played catch up and took at 3 1/2 hour nap! My aunt Julie (aka JuJu) watched Zippy Angel for us while we went to Indiana and Addison and I picked her up tonight. Addison is staying the night at Pa'ma and Papaw's house tonight. She has a full day planned tomorrow! Back to work for me tomorrow--I enjoy routine!
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, your ordeal sounds awful! Thank god you had some food in the car.
Madeline got a million gifts too. How did Addison do on Christmas morning? Does she get the idea of Santa?
Post a Comment