Background

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ohioans for Humane Farms

Last night my brother in law, Steve, and I went down to Xaiver University to meet the President/CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, Wayne Pacelle. They are trying to gather 600,000 signatures in order to have their issue on the November ballot.   The issue is for the prevention of cruelty to animals and factory/industrial farming practices in Ohio.  Currently, Ohio has no standards or rules for how farm animals are raised and processed.  If you'd like to see it for yourself, watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4
My only disclaimer for this video is it is VERY VERY SAD and Gruesome.

If the issue passes in November, Ohio will require that all factory/industrial farms follow a new set of rules including:
-no crates for veal calves (if they are crated they have to be able to turn around and lay down without touching the sides)
-no cages for the 27 million laying hens in Ohio (currently chickens are allowed 67 square inches of space which is less than the size of a regular size piece of paper 8x11.5). 
-no crates for breeding pigs
-not allowing "downer" cows (sick, unable to stand or walk) to be processed for human consumption

At the meet and greet last night, there was a panel of 4 family farmers (3 from Northern Ohio and 1 from Nebraska) who talked about the way they raise their animals and how they are supporting this issue.  They were all very inspiring! If you'd like more information about the issue, visit http://www.ohiohumane.com/

I have always been passionate about animals as well as my health (my degree is in health!)
but not until recently have I started learning more about the food my family and I eat.  I started last summer by reading "Skinny Bitch" (I know, the title is a really poor choice!) and most recently have read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan then watched Food, Inc. (watered down version of the YouTube video).  I have also just finished "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. 

I have found some great family run farms in Cincinnati and am excited to start buying from them.  I have bought organic eggs since 2006 from my friend Karen at work who has laying hens as well as hogs.  Personally, I need to get past the organic label because I want to know exactly where my food is coming from.  Whole Foods of course sells organic meat, but it could come from California! Turner Farm in Indian Hill raises chickens and hogs and Grassland Graze in West Chester raises grass-fed cattle.  Both sell from their farms and farmer's markets in the Cincinnati area.  However, I am not eating meat but plan to purchase for my family since Jack is a meat and potatoes type of guy. 

Last weekend Jack and Addison planted tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, and cantaloupe.  My windowsill herbs are starting to grow too!  Can't wait to make salsa with my cilantro.  That is my favorite herb. Jack's teacher friend has recently built a greenhouse in his backyard (kit from Harbor Freight), so Jack wants to do something like that next year.  We're looking forward to visiting their house this summer to see it!

As for something more positive, Addison will be 3 years old in a matter of days!  The past 3 years have been a wonderful roller coaster ride!!  I can honestly say she is a mini-me.  Last weekend Aunt Julie permed my hair so of course she wanted her hair like that.  Pa'ma had to go out and buy sponge rollers for her!  Hopefully she'll let me put them in tonight. 
This is a picture from mom's phone (that is why it is so blurry) after she bought them on Monday while babysitting.  Doesn't she look happy?  HAH!


The pool opens this Saturday, so we're obviously looking forward to that!  Julie's Memorial Day pool party is on Monday and then next Saturday is Addy's birthday!  Friday I am off and going to the zoo with my neighbor Jen and her boys (hopefully).  Grandma Jackie bought Addison a zoo membership for her birthday.  Other than that, we're just looking forward to the summer and our 3 mini trips we are taking in July (Michigan, Eagle Point Resort in Bloomington, and then St. Louis). 

No comments: